Q: I’m sure you have heard from others on this subject. But having to drive around a disabled person for 4½ years, I couldn’t keep quiet.

An occupational therapist named Susan Lillie commented on handicap placards. She really does not know what she’s talking about. I believe it is legal to leave the disabled person in the car.

I would leave my disabled husband in the car while I would go in for a few groceries, not a whole week’s worth. Sometimes when I returned, he would be standing outside the car holding onto the door for support (he could not stand or walk without help). He would get too hot. So there is no way I would park further away from the store than I had to.

Betty Allen

A: This stirred up a hornet’s nest. Mrs. Roadshow had similar experiences at times when helping her dad when she visited him in Iowa.

Q: Susan Lillie wrote to say that disabled parking spots are not intended to be used for when able-bodied people are going into a store while the disabled person waits in the car, taking up the spot that another disabled person might need more. I thought this was a good point, but your answer completely discounted it and gave permission for this behavior.

I’ve only had limited experience with people who have disabled placards. All of them had a difficult time getting out of the car and going into stores, but all were perfectly fine to sit in the car while someone else ran in.

I didn’t think you should completely discount this writer’s point.

Shelley Hoyt, San Jose

A: Others agree. If a driver has a valid placard, we don’t know the circumstances and should not rush to judgment.

Q: I just drove cross-country from San Jose to Florida, mostly via Interstate 10. I noticed that truck scales that were opened had signs: “All trucks must stop.” But very often, we saw trucks driving past without entering. By the way, this was in multiple states. I’m sure it was legal, so what is the rule?

David Wilkins, San Jose

A: Weigh stations are there to enforce weight limits for trucks and, in some states, buses. These heavy vehicles can damage roads and bridges through normal wear and tear, but if overweightcan cause more damage.

Weigh stations are also used for random inspections that can help ensure that trucks are safe to operate.

Some trucks may not stop if drivers have transponders indicating the weight of the loads their trucks are carrying.

Join Gary Richards for an hourlong chat noon Wednesday at https://ift.tt/27E9ALQ. Look for Gary Richards at Facebook.com/mr.roadshow, or contact him at mrroadshow@bayareanewsgroup.com or 408-920-5335.